Humanity Road activated its disaster desk on August 2, 2017 as a result of significant flooding in India. During the 2017 monsoon season in India, parts of the States of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and West Bengal have been affected by heavy rains, flash floods, and rain oriented calamities. A reported 508 persons have lost their lives, 24,811 cattle heads have perished, 63,215 houses/huts have been damaged, and about 2.8 lakh hectares of crop area have been affected. source
Glide number: 2017-000084
The western states of Gujarat and Rajasthan and the northeastern state of Assam have been hit especially hard. In Gujarat in western India, more than 200 people have died, and 450,000 have been affected by the floods source. Around 13,000 people trapped have been rescued by the NDRF, NGO’s and local authorities, and nearly 50,000 people have been evacuated. The worst affected districts are Banaskatha and Patan. source
In Rajasthan, as of 28 July, 15 people were killed in rain-related incidents, 640 were rescued, and 2,225 were evacuated. Many villages in the districts of Jalore, Sirohi, Pali, and Barmer were surrounded by water with no road connectivity. The situation has been gradually improving. source
In northeast India, a second wave of floods that occurred in Assam in July has affected over 1.7 million people across 26 districts. As of 30 July, 83 people have died, and 86,223.19 hectares of crops have been damaged or destroyed. As of 13 July, 123 relief camps and 259 relief distribution centres were operational. source In Manipur, flood levels are above normal, and roads have been cut off by landslides. About 3,000 families and 27,000 livestock have been affected. source
Needs include safe drinking water, sanitation, water purification units, bleaching powder, soaps, healthcare, trauma counseling, hygiene kits, tarpaulins, tents, household items, sanitary napkins. source1, source2.
- Inter Agency Group (IAG) Assam – Joint Needs Assessment Report, Assam Floods 2017
- Assam State Disaster Management Authority – Flood Reports database
- Assam State Disaster Management Authority – Flood Report, 28 July 2017.
- Sphere – Situation Reports in India-2, 28 July 2017.
- IFRC – India: North-East Floods, 28 July 2017.
- Ministry of Defence – Update on HADR Operations in Gujarat / Rajasthan, 27 July 2017.
- Ministry of Home Affairs – Monsoon 2017, Sitrep No. 56, 26 July 2017.
- Sphere – Situation Reports in India-1, 24 July 2017.
Emergency Phone Numbers and Help Lines
- Rajasthan Emergency Helpline Number: 0141-2227296. source
- Assam Emergency Helpline: 0361-2237219 / 2237460 source
- Toll free: 108, 1070
- Helpline: 1079
- Manipur Emergency Helpline: 0385-2451100. source
- Mizoram Emergency Helpline: 0389-2342520. source
Arunachal Pradesh State
- Aurunachal Emergency Helpline: 8257891310. source
Social Media Accounts and Websites of Interest
Event Hashtags: #GujaratFloods, #RajasthanFloods, #NEFloods2017, #AssamFloods
Other hashtags: #Manipur, #AssamFloods2017, #AhmedabadRains, #ManipurFloods
- Prime Minister of India: website, @PMOIndia, Facebook
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA): website, @ndmaindia, Facebook
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF): website, @NDRFHQ, Facebook
- India Meteorological Department: website, @indiametdept, Facebook
- Indian Army: website, @adgpi, Facebook
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare: website, @MoHFW_INDIA
- All India Radio News: website, @airnewsalerts, Facebook, soundcloud
- Corporate Disaster Resource Network (CDRN India): website, @CDRNIndia
- Indian Red Cross Society: website, @IndianRedCross, Facebook
- Gujarat State Disaster Management Authority: website, @GSDMA_Gujarat, Facebook, district offices list.
- Chief Minister: @CMOGuj, @vijayrupanijp, Facebook
- Ministry of Health: website
- Pankaj Kumar, IAS: @pkumarias
- Gujarat Floods: @GujaratFloods, Facebook
- Desh Gujarat: @DeshGujarat
- Government of Rajasthan: website, @RajGovOfficial
- Chief Minister of Rajasthan: @RajCMO, @VasundharaBJP, Facebook
- Indian National Congress – Rajasthan: website, Facebook
- Disaster Management, Relief, and Civil Defence Department: website
- Rajasthan State Disaster Management Authority – district offices list
- Chief Minister of Assam: website, @CMOOfficeAssam, @sarbanandsonwal, Facebook
- Assam State Disaster Management Authority: website, district offices list
- MyGovAssam: @mygovassam
- Assam Police: website, @assam_police
- Assam Floods: @assamfloods
- Assam Needs Help: @AssamNeedsHelp